Who doesn’t like to get cozy and watch a Christmas movie? The good ones, the bad ones, doesn’t matter. I’m not sure I’ve met a Christmas movie yet that was unwatchable. One of my guilty pleasures is throwing on whatever happens to be on the Hallmark or Lifetime channel and they never disappoint. That being said, I do have my favorites! Need some holiday movie inspo? I got you!
- A Christmas Story
- I’ve been watching this every year since I was a kid and it’s good every. single. time. The acting is excellent and realistic, with a story that I’m sure everyone can relate to. We’ve all had something on our wish list that was a bit too dangerous, just like the red ryder bb gun. Just don’t shoot your eye out.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- One of the funnier holidays movies on my list in my opinion and one I’ve also watched every year since I was a kid! This is a hilarious and down-to-earth view of what the holidays look like for a regular family. Their luck goes from bad to worse, but Chevy Chase, who plays the dad, remains in a crazed holiday spirit nonetheless.
- The Year Without a Santa Claus
- One of my favorites. I love the songs and still know most of them by heart. It doesn’t really feel like the holiday season until I’ve watched this. This is the only cartoon that made my list, but it just has such a wonderful message behind it and I love what it says about Christmas and people’s actions around the holidays.
- Bad Santa
- Not safe (at all) for kids, but hilariously bad for mature audiences! And by bad, I mean good. Billy Bob Thornton is epically funny as a mall Santa Claus with anger issues and a drinking problem. Not all Christmas movies have to be PG. The humor is pretty crass, so if that’s not your thing, maybe skip this one.
- Christmas in Conway
- Mary-Louise Parker is absolutely excellent in this. I loved her in Weeds and I love her in Christmas in Conway as well! I’ve seen this a few times now and I still enjoy it every time. I love the message and I love that it’s not your typical holiday story, it comes at the holidays from a different perspective.