OCTOBER is spooky szn, BUT it’s also breast cancer awareness month. SIX years ago I had a lump removed from my breast & felt very lucky to find out it was benign. Breast cancer has affected quite a few beautiful women in my life & early detection really is so crucial. I KNOW it can feel silly, but you gotta be doing your monthly breast self-exams, you gotta CHECK YOUR BOOBIES.
FINDING a lump while you’re doing a breast self-exam can be scary, but try to stay calm. If something feels out-of-the-norm, give your doctor a call & have them check it out, just in case. Early detection is huge. WHEN I felt a lump I made an appointment and was then sent for a mammogram. When that wasn’t super conclusive, they tried an ultrasound. It turned out to be a fibroadenoma. WHICH IS a benign (non-cancerous) breast tumor, a round lump in your breast that moves easily under the skin. Fibroadenomas are typically painless, although they can feel tender or painful. My breast specialist monitored the lump for a few years before removing it when it started to grow. MAYBE breast self-exams can feel a bit silly at first, but it won’t always feel silly & if you know your breasts, it’ll be easier to tell if something isn’t right.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR DURING BREAST SELF-EXAM
- LOOK for changes in skin texture, puckering, rash
- LOOK for sudden & unusual change in shape or size
- LOOK for swelling in your armpit or collarbone
- LOOK for nipple discharge, inversion, change of direction
- FEEL for lumps, thickening, warmth, swelling
- FEEL for constant or unusual pain in breast or armpit
- FOR MORE info on breast self-exams & breast cancer awareness CoppaFeel! is a great resource!
CHECK YOUR BREASTS
PLEASE ADD breast self-exams to your monthly routine. Do it before bed each night, or in the shower, it will feel like second nature soon enough. IF YOU’RE going through something & want to chat about boobs or have any questions, I’m always here! Head over to my contact page and let me know what’s on your mind.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- 5 HELPFUL MEDITATION TIPS
- TAM WITH JAM (3)
- SELF-CARE TO ADD TO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE
- TRYING PRESS-ON NAILS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- THE BEST FALL CANDLES
- 10 EASY TIPS FOR THRIFTING
COMMENT BELOW & let me know how your month has been!
P.S. CHECK UR BOOBIES!